I got the voice mail a couple of days ago. It was a strange,
computerized voice telling me I was in trouble for not paying taxes
and it was my last shot to get things resolved without going to
court (or being arrested).
I knew it was a scam, but I was curious... I called back and
here is what
I wanted to know more about how this business operates, so I
kept calling different call centers until I found somebody willing
to give me the inside scoop. This episode contains a recording of
that conversation. It explains the business behind the "IRS Phone
Scam" and what you can learn from it to apply to your business.
In This Episode:
- How electronic payments people make to the call center get
converted to cash
- Who owns the call center?
- The "Dealer" and how he works
- Does the "IRS Scam" have a good conversion rate?
- How call centers involved in this business get leads
- What the inside of a call center looks like
- The reason why some people in the call center are working
- How much money can you make working in an illegal call center?
(HINT: Not much.)
- What call center workers do when they run out of phone
- "Scam Training" -- what it looks like
- Where fake names call center workers come from
- What US politicians and illegal call centers have in
- The easiest way to get people to take action (but not
necessarily the best way)
Links To Things I Talk About:
This episode of RED Podcast is brought to you by
FreshBooks. Tell them
RED Podcast sent you and get a free month (no credit
Help Your Entrepreneur Friends Make Money The Honest
If you like RED Podcast, I'd appreciate you telling a
friend (maybe even two). And if you really like RED,
a review on iTunes would be great too.